Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 21, 2009 - from CaringBridge

Hey everyone,
I hope that this update finds everyone doing well!  We are enjoying the beautiful spring -- maybe a little too much as the pollen seems to have hit Ian pretty hard.  Ian started coughing this past weekend and ran a fever for a little while ... we didn't think much of it because he was happy and playing.  However, yesterday, he started back with that rattling noise in his nose and throat so we went to the pediatrician.  The doctor listened to him for a quite a while and confirmed that it was just in his nose and throat and not in his lungs.

Well, that type of thing, I guess, can change pretty quickly, because today, he started struggling to catch his breath.  Unfortunately, he was still happy and playing so I didn't think too much of it and just thought we would give it another day before I went back to the doctor.  Well, when he woke up from his nap at 4:30 p.m., he was really struggling and you could just tell that he didn't feel good at all.  So, I quickly slung he and his sister into the car and rushed to the pediatrician's office (since they close at 5 p.m.)  Fortunately, they were still there and they immediately administered a breathing treatment which seemed to help some.

They prescribed him a steroid -- which is perfect since we are in the drug business and we have a steroid -- and sent us home with a nebulizer.  It's definitely a 2-man task as we gave him one around 8 p.m. It required me holding his arms down and Stewart holding the mask to his nose!  We will do another one in just a little while and then again in the morning.

We go back to the doctor in the morning at 10 so I will update after that.  Please just pray that he will respond quickly to the treatments; we are supposed to go to Alabama this weekend to see our grandmother and other family and I really want to make that happen!  We, of course, won't take a chance, but we have our fingers crossed that God will heal Ian pretty quickly.

As the doctor today said, "This has nothing to do with his heart!"  And we were never worried about that ... as we told her, "We know NOT breathing and we were never worried about that either!"  It's amazing how this parenting thing all comes into perspective :-)

Love to everyone!  We'll update tomorrow!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment